Candidate Statement

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Sun Nov 9 13:55:31 PST 2003

My name is Alan DuBoff and I've been attending BayLISA since the '94/'95
timeframe. I've been involved in many user groups in the past, going back to
the early 80's where I was one of the early founders of the Tokyo PC User
Group in Japan, aprox. '82/'83 timeframe. Ironically, this group is still
active to this day, and although all of the original founders have since
moved back to their homelands, the tradition continues on.

After returning to the U.S. in '87, I was involved in several user groups,
the first called LAMLUG (L.A. ms Languages User Group) with microsoft which I
founded and was president for aprox 1.5 years, when they were promoting OS/2.
This group was merged into another user group sponsored by IBM when IBM and
ms had their historical divorce over OS/2 and Windows. I continued on as
president. Following that, the L.A. OS/2 User Group was formed which I was
president for 2 or 3 years at which point the Northridge earthquake rendered
the IBM Santa Monica building condemmed. It was shortly after that when I
moved to Silicon Valley to work on the PowerPC port of Oracle to IBM's
Workplace OS which was shortly canceled (Oracle did get their engine ported
and running on the mach kernel at the time though!;-).

During 2002 I was one of 6 community representative (dubbed the "Secret Six")
who negotiated to get Solaris x86 back when Sun announced on Jan. 8th, 2002
that they would indefinitely delay Solaris 9 x86. Sun Microsystems hired me
on May 19th, 2003 to work on Solaris x86 with the community, the same day
which Scott McNealy and Larry Ellison stood on stage to announce their new
"Low Cost Computing" strategy. Recentely we've announced that Sun will be
porting a 64 bit version to the AMD Opteron chip to throw a monkey wrench in
the commodity hardware solutions arena. Prior to joining Sun I have been a
consultant for the best part of the past 20 years, with the exception of
working on the Kerbango Internet Radio which used Embedded Linux. I consulted
for aprox. 1.5 years at VA Linux Systems (Linux work of course;-), close to a
year on WebVan (Solaris SPARC on the backend), 5 months for Cisco, 2.5 years
at Taligent/IBM, as well as other fortune 500 type companies in Silicon
Valley, Japan, and Los Angeles, where I was born.

While I have been involved with UNIX/Linux on various platforms, I have
primarily been involved with versions running on x86 hardware for my personal
use, in many cases integrating that work onto larger platforms for
deployment. So it's safe to say that I have used mostly FreeBSD, Linux, and
Solaris x86 on my personal hardware, although I do own a small amount of
SPARC hardware. I do not use or advocate the use of any ms products
whatsoever, and I kick and scream in the cases where I'm forced to use any of
them. Fortunately with the upswing of UNIX/Linux, it has allowed me to
continue this personal choice.

I'm a bit unclear on a statement of whether I would serve, even if not
elected. I will certainly give reccomendations to the board if not elected,
but BayLISA won't hurt my feelings should they not elect me. I don't think I
would put near the effort in BayLISA should I not be elected, but I certainly
will continue to support and be a member of BayLISA should they not, just as
I do today.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.