Candidates for new Board

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Sun Nov 9 10:57:17 PST 2003

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the slow response as I've been out of town
and my webmail interface reaches a point where there's too many messages to
try and sort out without spending a massive amount of time...<sigh>

On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:14, Heather Stern wrote:
> Thanks for the question, Alan :)
>
> The BayLISA membership at large is voting for enough board members to
> fill out our current complement of 7 board members total.  We have 4
> spaces on the Board to fill this year, which is comprised of 3 spots up
> for normal re-election, and 1 seat vacated during the year due to life's
> pressures.
>
> BayLISA members are voting for 4 people who will help guide the
> organization's inner workings for a couple of years.
>
> (The bylaws allow us to have a few more or less, but the total 7 has
> served rather well for not having deadlocks, and for having enough
> people to keep things all in working order without burning anyone out,
> so it's been this way for a while.)
>
> At the beginning the December Board Meeting all board members drop all
> the officer-level titles, and it's up to the new Board who will be
> President, Arch, Treasurer among themselves for the next year.
>
> Since these titles are picked among the Board, the BayLISA members are
> sort-of voting for them too, but only indirectly...  which is what I was
> trying to say, but I guess I just confused things :)
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/
*-

Yes, this clarifies it much better. I had been asked to run for the board by
a member at the USENIX/LISA conference this year, but didn't understand
exactly how it works. My current job with Sun is based around working with
the community, and we're planning to continue attending the USENIX and LISA
conferences. To be honest I hadn't thought about BayLISA too much as I've
been busy, but it's one of the user groups I still attend regularly.

Since I do have experience running user groups in the past, and the past has
shown that it's always more work than ROI for most of the officers, it
certainly wouldn't hurt my feeling if I was to run for such a position and be
turned down.<wink>

I guess I need to draft up some type of election propoganda, if it's not too
late for that to happen by the next meeting, so let's start there. Is there
still time for someone to decide to run, or has that time passed already?
This may save me some effort if I've missed some window. I am currently a
member in good standing with my dues paid up.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.