[baylisa] Reinstall python?

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Tue May 27 16:28:10 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 03:49:08PM -0700, David Alban wrote:
> That was it!  I edited ~/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py.  Changed the lines:
>
>   MAILMAN_USER = ''
>   MAILMAN_GROUP = ''
>
> to:
>
>   MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
>   MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'
>
> And was able to restart mailman without the previous complaints!
>
> Thanks Roy!

Very glad to be of service!

Now go back and do it the right way :)

(Defaults.py is installed as part of Mailman and may very well be
overwritten the next time you install Mailman.  However, mm_cfg.py is
considered to be site-dependent and will *NOT* be overwritten when you
reinstall Mailman.  Hence, the correct solution is to never edit
Defaults.py -- always tweak mm_cfg.py instead).

BTW, on a pseudo-related note, the happiest day of my Mailman-running
life was when I figured out how to add lists in Mailman and not have to
tweak my (then Sendmail, now Postfix) MTA configuration for each list.
If you haven't done this already, you might want to look into it.

-roy