app requires C: less than 1.9GB?

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 19 10:47:09 PST 2003

* Ulf Zimmermann <ulf at Alameda.net> [2003-03-19 08:23:51 -0800]:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:45:19PM -0500, N. Thomas wrote:
> > They have a medical application that runs on Windows (don't know
> > which version), and requires that the size of the C: drive it is
> > installed on to be less than 1.9GB.
> >

> That program is probably really old and uses the old windows/system
> calls which can't handle more then 2GB for a filesystem.

Though I've not used Windows in many years, and haven't ever developed
for it, this sounds reasonable.

You and J C Lawrence had the most plausible explanations for the 1.9GB
limit: Either the app was really old and couldn't be run on newer
machines or the authors were paranoid about their IP and wrote
copy-protection type code that couldn't handle larger drives/partitions.
I hope it was the former.

thomas

--
N. Thomas