MTA, easy insertion of header line

Rob Windsor windsor at warthog.com
Sat Jun 28 13:23:57 PDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:05:41 PDT, verily did Brett G Lemoine write:

> I may have a case where I need to build an relay box for the
> sole purpose of adding a header line into incoming mail
> (specifically a content-type/character-set header) (don't ask).

> Without starting an MTA religious war, what recommendations
> would the kind folk on baylisa have on this subject?  I know
> I could probably kludge it to work on sendmail (perhaps using
> milter), but it's been too long since I looked at postfix, exim,
> etc.. for me to recall if they can easily do something like this.

> FWIW, the header content will be static.

With sendmail, not only is it trivial, but it's already being done.
<a> add-if-not-there-already: Look for "Date:" in your sendmail.cf.
<b> If you want to impose a site-defined fixed content-type header,
    then just add "HContent-Type....", somewhat like the Received: lines.

The only tricky part is to keep your mail server from doing it on both
inbound and outbound mail.

Rob++