OK; I kinda figured AOL was weird ... but this is bizarre....

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20030727T162301 at wsrcc.com
Sun Jul 27 16:32:55 PDT 2003

david at catwhisker.org (David Wolfskill) writes:
> Accordingly, I sent a note, quoting the spam, to abuse at aol.net.
>
> I received a response that *claimed* (header-from, vs. envelope-from)
> to be from "daemon at catwhisker.org".

The "@catwhisker.org" is probably being added my your mail transport.
Sendmail and postfix both have the misfeature of fully-qualifying
remotely generated strings on the header-from with your local domain.
Eg. if aol had the header-from line of:

        From: abuse team

It would be re-written as:

        From: abuse at catwhisker.org, team at catwhisker.org

This is way more helpful than I would like, but not quite annoying
enough (yet!) for me to get off my duff and hack the code.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)