What do you do with a bouncing postmaster@?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Jul 24 13:30:40 PDT 2003

David Wolfskill writes:
>Now, I don't have or use cable TV -- similar to the reasons elucidated
>by Chuck Yerkes earlier today -- but my recollection is that AT&T
>Broadband was sold to TCI, which was swallowed by Comcast.  The former
>might account for the forwarding of mail addressed to attbi.com at abuse.net
>to tci.com, and the latter would account for the content of the From:
>header ("From: Comcast Forwarded Abuse <david at catwhisker.org>") -- well,
>sort of.

Did you try sending it to postmaster at comcast.com?  That seems like the
next thing to try.

>Overall, I'm failing to get a warm, fuzzy, feeling of extreme competence
>here.  :-(
>
>I could go ahead and block the lot -- attbi.com, tci.com, and
>comcast.com -- from the SMTP servers at baylisa.org and catwhisker.org.
>(I'm still a bit reluctant to be quite as Draconian with FreeBSD.ORG
>as I am with the other two.  Besides, FreeBSD.ORG uses Postfix,
>while the others use sendmail.)

Would that block mail from cable modem subscribers?  Specifically
would that block my email to this list?  My email is routed through an
ISP smarthost (sasquatch.com) but it does originate from
comcast-land...

If so, blocking all the customers of one of the largest ISP's in the
country because you can't get a solitary complaint through to their
admin team (who probably mean well but are just overworked, like most
sysadmins), is draconian to say the least.

--Bill.