DSL provider recommendation

Herb Leong herb at urusei.net
Thu Jul 24 03:35:19 PDT 2003

Ron Leedy wrote:
> In your case, it really doesn't matter who the DSL provider is.  They all
> must come over SBC physical lines and circuits.  So if you are having a
> circuit problem now, you will have one with anybody else.  Also, SBC will
> take their full SLA time allowed when resolving third party DSL issues.  My
> ISP (Speakeasy) uses Covad and my only problems have been circuit issues.
> SBC won't fix the problem because its not cost effective and doesn't fall
> under SLA provisions with Covad.
Well, if you went with SBC, you may^H^H^Hwill end up with IP problems.
At the very least you will be given dynamic IP address assignments which
sucks if you want to have a server of some sort.  And SBC frowns on
servers.  The SBC offerings are aimed at the lowest common denominator
which I think most of us on this list do not fit into...

> BTW - Speakeasy is a GREAT ISP with setups for the neophite and the guru.
>>From nation-wide dialup to DSL to T-1 lines.  They are adding wireless
> access points.  Any subscriber who is willing to be a access point gets
> reduced rates.  That's how innovative they are!!!

I would have to 3rd or 4th Speakeasy as a GREAT ISP.  I went with them
instead of idiom.com only on the off chance that I may end up moving
to Seattle and Speakeasy would let me transfer my account up north.
I expected to take a hit on the service level vs. Idiom but I have
been very pleasantly surprised that it has been good.

Unlike SBC, you get static IP addresses with speakeasy and they will
let you run servers within reason.  They do not block ports.  They
don't have xfer caps on your link but they do have an xfer cap on
USENET newsgroups.

They also run nice promos--I got the choice of a XBOX or PS2 when
I signed up for a gamer account.  And speaking about gaming--
If you like gaming, they have private game servers that kick a lot
of rear end...  And you get a free fileshack login as well as a
free Rhapsody music stream.  And they offer shell accounts for us
Ex-Netcom folks...

The only complaint so far is that they declared a maintainance
window in a email and the maint window actualy started a 1/2 hour
earlier and ended a 1/2 hour latter than what was stated in the
email.  The call center blurb did have the correct hours, tho.

The technology that they used for my particular link to Speakeasy
involved using my sbc voice line via covad instead of the "dead"
pair that was brought in for my previous covad link to my XO
account.

Unlike the the covad/XO link, the sbc/covad/speakeasy setup is
affected by halogen lights.

Gawd, I miss that link--it was one of the early adapter DSL lines
that had a *min* commit of 1.5/384...  With speeds hovering in the
4-6 range both directions.  With a /28 (and I could have asked for
and been given up to a /24).  Not to mention being free...  sigh.
Those days ain't coming back...  If I could somehow get that
account back up and running (Phat chance!), that would be the only
way I would drop Speakeasy.

/herb