UPS batteries

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Tue Jul 22 17:51:06 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

>And just an FYI:
>most car places (Kragen/Napa) should take dead batteries.  I know
>the City of Oakland (and much of the bay) have drop off places for
>these too.  And while we're here, Radio Shack and others take those
>nasty laptop and cell phone batteries we want far from landfill.

Home Depot also takes rechargeable batteries.  If anyone knows
of a place that takes non-rechargeable, I'd appreciate a pointer.

>While the "proper" UPS batteries fit inside nicely, you
>could hack in a much larger battery to get the same
>amount of power (# of amps), but for a longer period.
>A large deep cycle battery could give your little UPS
>enough power to last days.

There is a company that hits the radio swap at Las Positas
and the flea market at Foothill that has a wide variety of
rechargeables, including a lot of the ones that fit smaller
workstation-type UPS units.  Their prices are much better
than HSC's, and they have a wider selection.

=Nadine=