Anybody want dead UPS?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Tue Jul 22 11:49:25 PDT 2003

Quoting Hal Pomeranz (hal at deer-run.com):
> > I hate following up my own posting this way, but one of the list
> > members pointed me at a really good deal for replacement batteries
> > for these units.
>
> Several people have since asked me for a pointer to said deal, so
> here it is:
>
> http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=42800
>
> That's $120, including the cost of shipping the dead battery back
> for disposal.

And just an FYI:
most car places (Kragen/Napa) should take dead batteries.  I know
the City of Oakland (and much of the bay) have drop off places for
these too.  And while we're here, Radio Shack and others take those
nasty laptop and cell phone batteries we want far from landfill.

While the "proper" UPS batteries fit inside nicely, you
could hack in a much larger battery to get the same
amount of power (# of amps), but for a longer period.
A large deep cycle battery could give your little UPS
enough power to last days.