Cisco Operating System Has Security Flaw (News)

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 17 13:47:09 PDT 2003

  NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- A security flaw has been found in Cisco Systems
Inc.'s (CSCO) internetwork operating system that could allow hackers to
penetrate all of Cisco's routers.

Cisco released a security advisory detailing "a significant denial of
service vulnerability that affects its entire line of IPv4 devices,"
Internet Security Systems Inc. (ISSX) said Thursday.

Cisco, which makes networking equipment for the Internet, didn't return
calls seeking comment.

ISS heard about the problem Wednesday after speaking with Internet
Protocol service providers.

"We came across it because we had heard all the major IP service
backbone providers were doing emergency upgrades over the last 36 hours
very quietly," said Chris Rouland, vice president of ISS's X-Force
research and development team. "This is a very severe problem. All of
Cisco's routers are affected."

Full article at:

http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/for5/200307171043DOWJONESDJONLINE000929_FORTUNE5.htm

-- richard