If there were justice in our industry ...

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Wed Jul 16 16:33:14 PDT 2003

> Me either, so, at the risk of fanning the flames...
>
> We need to be careful not to debate at too high a level of abstraction,
> and we need to back our statements up with empirical examples.

Agreed.  The classic ones that don't behave as free
markets are electricity and gas.  Once they have established
footholds and business has built around them they cease to
obey the rules of a free market.  The organization that controls
them can demand outrageous prices since they are necessities
of doing business.  The regulations governing those services (and
which are being dismantled) were a fairly direct result experiences
with unregulated utilities in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

I'm of the opinion that niether purely market driven unregulated
economies nor at centrally controlled economies work well in
the long term.   I'm fairly certain the workable reality
which benefits the most people lays somewhere between.

-jeff