Offsite tape storage?

Brent Chapman Brent at greatcircle.com
Wed Jul 16 09:14:02 PDT 2003

At 9:46 PM -0700 7/15/03, Paul M. Moriarty wrote:
>William R Ward writes:
>[...]
>>
>>  My bank charges $35 per year for a safe deposit box.  Sounds about the
>>  right size for your needs.
>>

>Allow me to rephrase.  I run IT for a medium-sized, multinational company.
>I am on the road over 50% of the time.  The only presence we have in the US
>is a small, corporate HQ (20 ppl).  In the US, I have a part-time desktop
>support guy; that's it.  Everything else is either outsourced or offshore.

Kinda off on a tangent here, but in my experience, office managers or
receptionists are usually more reliable about getting the backup
tapes taken care of than anybody on the IT staff.  To anybody on the
IT staff, getting the tapes off-site is a low-priority task, which
they let slide whenever they're busy with something else (which is to
say, most of the time).  To the admin staff, it's just another
routine task done on a regular basis, and if they're any good at all
it gets taken care of quite reliably.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman <Brent at GreatCircle.COM>
Great Circle Associates, Inc. -- Silicon Valley's IT Infrastructure Experts