Offsite tape storage?

ahorn at deorth.org ahorn at deorth.org
Tue Jul 15 15:32:28 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Hans Jacobsen wrote:

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:22:11 -0700
>From: Hans Jacobsen <hans at wwc.com>
>To: Paul M. Moriarty <pmm at igtc.com>
>Cc: baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: Re: Offsite tape storage?
>
>When I've looked at fireproofing requirements for tape media in the past,
>the temperature requirements were much more stringent.
>Paper may be ok up to say 350 degrees F while your tape is ruined at over
>maybe... 125 degrees.  Make sure you meet your requirements.
>-hej

I think for DLT it's about 105 (according to the DLT case IIRC from the
last time I had an A/C disaster ;)

Just buy a normal safe for security purposes. You've satisfied the fire
'disaster prevention' requirement to some extent by having two copies of
your data.  If that doesn't feel safe enough, have two offsites in
different locations.