Antispam - employee's

beacker at misc.com beacker at misc.com
Tue Jul 15 11:48:06 PDT 2003

     I've noticed one element missing from the decision for whether to
do spam filtering at the MTA or the user's mail interface, bandwidth
availability.  If you are connected to a high speed network then
transferring every message to the users mail application poses no real
issue.  If on the otherhand the pipe relatively narrow (56kb/sec) then
not having to transfer the mail across this interface would indicate
the filtering be done at the MTA to limit the amount of downloaded data.

     Personally I'm using SpamBouncer for this task.  Though I need to
add in the additional Bayesian filtering to help it make some better
choices about which messages to allow.
                          Brad Eacker (beacker at misc.com)