'Dumb & Dumber' Seeks 'Best & Brightest'

Rob Windsor windsor at warthog.com
Fri Jul 11 12:29:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:55:48 PDT, verily did richard childers / kg6hac write:

> - People who think version numbers and product names are handed down
> from On High and are not to be questioned or discussed. (For instance,
> Solaris 2.8 is now referred to, by Sun salespeople, as "Solaris 8" ...
> but if you type 'uname -a', it will say "SunOS 5.8". All three are valid
> names ... but the person you are speaking to might not know that, and
> definitely isn't inclined to believe you.)

Not to pick nits (but you started it)...

Where do you see any (official) reference to "Solaris 2.8" other than the
broken patch script in jumpstart?

By the time that "Solaris 8" came out, Sun did a fairly good job of weeding
out any reference to "2.n", specifically "2.8".

On your subject, my problem is that recruiters believe that "2.8" is a
valid version of Solaris, which it isn't.  :-)

My point wasn't to irritate you, but to illustrate that I share your
frustration in similar manner with contrasting details.

Recruiters are only buzzword skimmers/matchers.  Your best bet in getting
a match via one of them is to creatively insert as many acronyms and
buzzwords into your resume without making it look like the good ol' HTML
spamming schemes that worked back in '95 or so.

Then again, maybe blatent buzzword spamming works.

Rob++