'Dumb & Dumber' Seeks 'Best & Brightest'

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 11 10:55:48 PDT 2003

(The following is an unsolicited social observation.)

Has anyone else noticed a loss of competency amongst placement agencies
and human resources personnel, recently?

I have been encountering some remarkably incompetent behavior recently;
I have some theories as to where it's coming from ... and where this is
going, as well.

What do I mean by incompetent?

- People who are unable to find my name and address in the resume
because it is in the header rather than the body of the Microsoft Word
document, and they cannot see it. (Solution: put your contact
information in the header, the footer, and the body of each page.)

- People who do not know what a systems administrator does and think
that if you know how to type that maybe you can do shorthand and work on
their web page for them, too. (This is like a person who assumes that
because a stenographer, a medical secretary, and a legal secretary all
use typewriters, that their jobs are fundamentally identical.)

- People who think version numbers and product names are handed down
from On High and are not to be questioned or discussed. (For instance,
Solaris 2.8 is now referred to, by Sun salespeople, as "Solaris 8" ...
but if you type 'uname -a', it will say "SunOS 5.8". All three are valid
names ... but the person you are speaking to might not know that, and
definitely isn't inclined to believe you.)

- People who think that if you are a UNIX systems administrator that you
should also be able to install, design and administer their databases
... maintain and change web content, as well as rewrite the backend code
that handles financial transactions ...  configure their routers and
firewalls ... handle their telephone exchange ...  support their
desktops as well as all their external customers ... provide first,
second and third tier technical support (an oxymoron, there, each of
those tiers is supposed to relieve the one before it; without relief and
handoff, there are no tiers of support, just tiers of management) ...
and have been certified in the latest, greatest release of their
operating system, but, no, they don't have money to actually pay someone
to go, they want to steal this valuable training from someone else ...
but they don't want to say it so bluntly, any more than they want to
discuss the fact that you are, by working for them, filling four to six
separate positions, for one half to one third of the pay your
predecessors received.

- Placement companies that keep on publishing the same basic, vague, ad,
for month, after month, after month, after month, after month, but never
reply to your email or return your calls.

I'm not disgruntled; I have no problem with doing good work that doesn't
need to be redone. No one has ever accused me of walking away from a
customer in need; indeed, it has been my commitment to my customers,
rather than my managers, that has usually led to disagreements, as I
stood up for my customers, and suffered for it. So it goes.

But I am getting a little impatient. Any one of us could do a better job
than some of the people I have spoken with; they are Klueless with a
capital 'K'.

Where do I think this is coming from?

It's pretty simple. A lot of high technology companies, over the past
decade, saw their management slowly being replaced - technically savvy
managers gradually being replaced with politically savvy managers,
attracted by the lucrative salaries and perks (what I refer to as
"perception managers"), infiltrating the company, from the top down,
until there was nothing left but tier after tier of MBA-flavored
management, and a thin layer of technical competence carrying the entire
burden of delivering the company's products and services.

When the bubble collapsed, the first to go, at the OEMs and VARs, were
the technical people. The more they made, they faster they were let go;
the theory was that they would be there when the market needed them
back, that's the way it had always worked before. Soon there was nothing
left but a trimmed-down sales, shipping, and administration department;
entire engineering organizations were pruned, and the company coasted,
carried by its inventories.

The same thing happened to service industries, except in this case
technicians were safer because they delivered the services that the
company depended upon for revenue. Here, the best and brightest
technicians were let go; it was assumed that perception management would
be sufficient to fill the gap between the quality of service promised,
and that delivered; again, that's the way it had always worked before.
Because they had no inventory, and their only stock in trade was
technicians, these technicians have been gradually replaced, one by one,
with less expensive (less competent) technicians.

Which brings us to recruiting agencies - which provide a service to OEMs
and VARs, trying to help these large organizations find and contact the
brilliant people who brought their products and services to life, in the
first place, ten years ago.

These agencies gutted their talent just like every other service
organization. Oh, sure, there are exceptions here and there; but the
perception is that, like every other organization in Silicon Valley,
most recruiting organizations voluntarily lobotomized themselves, in the
naive belief that when things got better, everyone would be waiting
patiently to return to work, just like all the other industries. They
all read the same magazines ('CIO', 'CFO', etc); how were they to know
any better?

(Hey, I read some of those magazines myself. No better way to make sure
you understand your, uh, management.)

That's how we got to where we are today. How do we get back to where we
were?

Again, I have some ideas on where this is going.

The fact is that a lot of bad decisions were made by these previously
mentioned "perception managers".

(When I tell people that a lot of engineering decisions were made
according to financial and political criteria, experienced engineers nod
their head in agreement; no one has any trouble recalling executives
overriding engineering decisions, particularly where vendors were
concerned. I have heard suggestions of kickbacks, as well; and it was
around this period that Cisco purchased a yacht and started giving
prospects rides around the San Francisco Bay, which, it would seem, was
an effective way to seal million-dollar deals. I'm not saying Cisco's
equipment is inadequate to the job; but for them to need to resort to
such tactics certainly raises the question, and for an executive to
ignore this question seems, to me, to be somewhat irresponsible.)

One of the worst decisions was where to invest educational dollars. I
frequently saw a week of classes, offsite, being used as a reward, given
to those who were, in retrospect, least inclined to share what they had
learned with the rest of their peers, as well as least capable of
absorbing enough useful information from the class to apply it
effectively enough to even pay back the company for the cost of the
class, as well as their absence from work.

The fact is, now, that all that knowledge is gone; distributed to the
four winds. Those people came here to the Bay Area to get jobs, and when
the jobs disappeared, they returned to where they came from - the
central United States in some cases, outside the United States entirely
in many cases.

At first, many people, when laid off, filed for unemployment, figuring
it wouldn't last. As their dollars got tight, a lot of people started
leaving. Another bunch of them left after their unemployment ran out,
here in California. Real estate prices haven't been dropping and the
high price of real estate exacerbated the situation, by consuming
whatever savings people had, far more quickly than might have otherwise
been the case. Wages falling to level of ten or more years ago have not
helped.

There are signs of this in the job market - previously unapproachable
positions that required six different incompatible disciplines in one
skull plus a willingness to work Sundays are loosening up, and the
version numbers don't matter so much any more. Some of this, of course,
is also a consequence of a new generation of recruiters gradually
learning the relevant details of their new jobs, while earning far
smaller commissions than their predecessors did; which has had its own
influence on the world of placement agencies, not necessarily for the
better.

Relearning, and rebuilding, are the key words here.

Silicon Valley is not dead; but it is close to brain-dead, if I may be
permitted an insulting but clinically applicable term. The 'brains' are
not gone ... but the gap between them and the people making the hiring
decisions at the companies seems to be too vast to bridge easily.

This is a great time to start a new business, if you don't mind starting
small. There are thousands of small customers roaming around, looking
for the best deal; and some big ones, too. A lot of people have
independently come to that conclusion; they have skills, they see
opportunities, and they are making the best of them.

(Sure, a lot of the hiring managers will sneer, when offered a
contractor; but just keep in mind that these are probably the same
hiring managers who, five or ten years ago, were outsourcing every
single job in the building to temporary employees. Understand that you
are dealing with an individual whose commitment to self-honesty is
negligible, and that you probably would not enjoy working with them,
anyway, and keep moving.)

Perhaps it is significant, this time around, that startups are requiring
early employees to work, for nothing, in exchange for their stock. More
likely is that this is an overreaction by the venture capitalists,
trying to shift responsibility for their losses onto the engineers of
new ideas, instead of onto the MBAs that were slipped in to run the
engineering organizations. Whatever the case, it suggests that there is
not a lack of people with new ideas and the motivation to translate
their visions into tangibles. The engineers amongst us are still
creating; but now we are back in our garages and workshops and
basements, working on -our- visions, working for ourselves, unpaid,
while waiting for the phone to ring.

When all is said and done, I think the lesson of the past five years is
this: that it is simpler for an engineer to learn business, than it is
for a businessman to learn engineering. For this reason, businessmen
would do well to beware.

It's not impossible that this collapse may provide the seed for a great
number of new, small, aggressive companies to get their toehold on new
markets; hopefully, this time around the engineers will have learned
enough of the lessons of Machiavelli to remain in the driver's seat.

So stay tuned for further developments; and don't lose hope yet.

Keep an eye out for a garage to live in, for the short term, though.    /-:

-- richard

PS: Yes, I know, this will aggravate a lot of headhunters. But it will
cause others to nod their head in agreement, and maybe smile in
amusement, too, and it is for those people that I write.