Wireless questions

Strata Rose Chalup strata at virtual.net
Fri Jan 31 08:32:10 PST 2003

Wups, I missed this in the first pass, sorry.

There are now off-the-shelf boxes that implement one of two wireless
protocols that will do 11Mb/s, 802.11g and some kind of extended
protocol that specifically works with Apple AirPort.

Here's a link on troubleshooting wireless cards, which also includes
links to some mfr's cards that run 11Mb (such as my Orinoco Gold card):

http://www.laptop.lib.utah.edu/global/inst/wireless_troubleshooting.html

You might find the following LISA papers of interest, all about
dealing with a freeform computer lab environment where you have
folks who are authorized and folks who may or may not be:

Dealing with Public Ethernet Jacks - Switches, Gateways, and Authentication
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa99/beck.html

NetReg: An Automated DHCP Registration System
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa99/valian.html

cheers,
Strata