Wireless questions

Brian Street brian.street at bayarea.net
Thu Jan 30 18:59:22 PST 2003

Hello everyone,

I wonder how many of you out there have experience in wireless networks. I'm
being asked by a client if it is possible to set up a wireless network for
125 tenants in an apartment complex. Of course, I said it was but wasn't
very sure as to the costs involved. Unfortunately, I don't have any
experience with wireless networks.

I think I have him talked into upgrading from his IDSL to a T1 if I can
provide the information for the infrastructure. The way I figure it, I
should be able to get a wireless router and a Linux box to interface between
the ISP's router and the tenants and their up!

Of course, the questions I have are:

1.) Does it make a difference how big the router is (duh?) for 125 users?
2.) Is the T1 sufficient for the internet pipe?

I thought it probably should be because most of the bottleneck might be in
the wireless side anyway since it can't operate at 10 Mb yet, right?

I presume I would need a server, with user accounts, as well though to keep
freeloaders off the network.

Thanks for all input.

Brian.