unix laptop question: closing the lid

Rob Windsor windsor at warthog.com
Thu Jan 30 18:26:13 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:03:57 PST, verily did Cyrus Lendvay write:

> Yes, many laptops (Dell's for sure) use the keyboard for heat
> disbursement.  Don't know if the IBM's do the same.

Laptops that rely largely on the keyboard for heat dissipation would be
rather useless with a docking station or port replicator (with monitor,
where lid is kept closed).  IBM laptops have had an internal cooling fan
for quite some time.

I've used an IBM lapdog 600X and T21 for long periods ( >10 hrs) with the
lid closed.  I would expect that Strata's 770 to be fine in that respect.

Rob++