unix laptop question: closing the lid

Jesse Adelman jadelman2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 16:28:26 PST 2003

Hi, Strata,

Check out these two web sites:

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm

and

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

The first site is the home of Thomas Hood's excellent "Debian GNU/Linux
on the Thinkpad 600" You may be saying "but I have a 770" - don't miss
his excellent tpctl utilities for controlling the firmware of the
Thinkpads, including system state.

The second site is a general site for Linux on Laptops.

I have a Thinkpad 600X with dual-boot W2K and Red Hat 7.3 + Ximian, and
it's sweet. Got rsync+ssh syncing backups to my desktop, and
de-uglified the fonts (via Thomas Hood's site), and I've got a slick
machine. Not using it for a "server", but I do use it in my consulting
work to demonstrate Web apps I'm testing and deploying using Apache.

Good luck,
Jesse Adelman

=====