OT: Conference venues and audio recording?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jan 24 23:47:24 PST 2003

This is wildly off-topic, for which I apologise profusely.  I'm hoping
y'all have worked with small conferences enough to know some ropes I
don't.

I'm setting up a small technical conference in a couple months and am
looking for a venue.  We're also looking for a cheap audio setup so that
we can record the talks, Q&A's etc.  The constraints:

  -- Cheap.  This is a small technical hobbyist group.

  -- Preferably near SJC (weekend of 8th March, same week as GDC -- the
  audience will also be at GDC).

  -- Space for ~30 people, a speakers area, and tables

  -- Not a banked theater of seats.  Conversation and milling about are
  essential components of the affair.

  -- Audio setup could be as simple as a couple mics for the speakers
  and one on the floor for Q&A.  Ultimately we just want MP3's out of
  it.

  -- 'Net connectivity is good, not essential.  Wireless, even slow
  wireless or POTS dialup is just fine.

Suggestions?

Please reply off-list and I'll summarise if/as requested.

--
J C Lawrence