Shipping cartons for Sony Multiscan 400PS

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Fri Feb 28 09:23:36 PST 2003

Quoting alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com (alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com):
> if you're having tom-dick-n-harry starving-students moving company
> move it... than i'd move all electronics in my own card/u-haul trailor
> and if not... one can always use a 2x4 and make a crate and/or
> buy those steel shelf from homedepot and assemble some steel shelf too
> and tie the monitor down to the shelf suspened on air/strings/ropes
>
> bubble wrap might not help ...as the corners of the 50lb monitor will
> pierce the bubble of air  -- need "solid foam" or at least hard enough
> foam
> - or few layers of carboard between the bubble wrap and the monitor

Steel or wood are silly (and GREATLY inflate moving costs).  Pro Office
movers will usually have wood wheeled crates that take several monitors.
If you're moving an office.  And they take the liability which is handy.

I did a week or so of work at UPS a while back. In passing, I
grumbled about a fairly well destroyed box that I got.   ("No, I'm
not signing for it until I open it to see what this big HOLE in
the box did to the contents").  The guy there, a manager but a 20
year veteran, taught me about packing:

Double pack.  A little layer of packing (foam, bubble wrap, whatever)
then a box TIGHTLY around it.  Then put THAT box inside a larger box
that's padded well (foam, bubble wrap etc).   The inner box ends up
keeping the object a nice orderly (non-sharp) square that's not
going to puncture bubble wrap, or squish aside peanuts (or "minions"
to my friend).  The outer box might get violated, but the inner
box is unlikely to be.

When I moved, the monitors got wrapped in blanket, bubble wrap,
into a box.  Then THAT box was padded (with coats and clothes for
me, but more wrap for you) and into a large 2.5x2.5x2.5' box.
Shaking it resulted in little movement.  Don't go sparse on peanuts.

Better is large sheets of foam for heavy objects.  They absorb impact.

UPS can still drop things and denies their insurance covers "shock
damage" (like my pal's ebayed guitar amp that we believe took an
8-12 foot drop - box intact, magnet attached to back of case. DOA),
but this mitigates some of the pointy-object damage.