Managed Security Monitoring Services vs In House Monitoring

alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com
Tue Feb 25 18:32:09 PST 2003

hi ya jeff

fun stuff !! ... thanx for your post ...

again, if we're using my dumb rules ... i run on the
following assumptions/requirements
	- i assume that the cracker will do a 'rm -rf /"
	of the hacked system and probably attack other
	servers too either inside or others on the internet

	- i assume that the cracker can get in and hide
	themself temporarily within a couple of minutes
	of a successful exploit or stolen/simple passwd

	- i assume that 80% - 90% of the attacks/false
	positives will be internally generated "errors"

	- i assume all errors are real .. and try to eliminate
	any and all "false positives"  -- no time to chase
	"false positives"

	- for the next 5-10% will be successful script kiddie
	"testing/auditing your servers" ...
	once they are in .. what damage can they do ??
		- have had a few script kiddie get in
		but there was nothing they could do in terms
		of additional damages

	- i will plead "why me" to dedicated crackers/hackers that
	want in no matter what i do

	- issue is do you report that foo at ip w.x.y.z
	tried or did attack your server... ( specifically port scanners )
	that too takes too much energy/effort and most law enforcement
	wont do anything either .. unless it was a govt servers

--- with those simple/silly assumptions ...

a.  Make a "security policy" for your hosts
    Make a "security policy" for your network and network topology

b.  i minimize damage by having backups ( live or hidden )
	- and minimize damage by having different networks

c.  minimize damage by assuming that all incoming connections
    are from insecure (home) networks
	( [cr/h]acker follow them into their work pcs )
	- direct certain people only to certain networks
	and keep other servers away from that network

	- major network topology issue and what data is sensitive

d.  i minimize what other machines they can attack
	- each machine has different root passwd
	- no passwdless login ( must be typed )

	- if they used an exploit to get access, than we have
	a more serious "patch is too old process" to be fixed/changed

		-- this is where "brains" is needed ...
		what sequence and when to "thoroughly check patches"

e.  if the machine goes down... it will stay down till some looks at it

f.  how often do you want to run your ids checks ??
	- is it cron based ??
	- is it constantly runnning ??

	- if it's post proceessing the log files .. it's too late in my
	book .. you've already been [cr/h]acked ...

	- if you changed your monitoring rules to ignore
	certain activity to prevent the "false positives", tha
	they [h/cr]acker tooo can come in thru that ignored set of
	monitoring rules

i get tons of attacks on some of the servers i babysit
( but not a single false positive... they're in by the time
( i know about it ... and i can usually watch them try this and try that
( and i do not have the time to chase false positives ...

--- for servers...
	i want to do a md5 across /home/httpd/* for webservers
	-- anytime anybody updates the website, it is to be
	followed by a "md5 udpate"

	-- similarly for mail servers, fw, loghosts, etc

--- for binaries...
	- its md5'd and saved off
	( tripwire and similar is too too big and too cumbersome

	- only useful if you think your binaries been trojaned
	( again too late if its been changed ...

--- for patches..
	- have a duplicate set of servers, apply the patches
	and test that everything still works
		== not a trivial task --
		== miss something and you wont hear the end of it
		==

-- ie... all that stuff is not "monitoring" yet....

	==
	== lots of stuff to do .. before "monitoring" is an issue
	==

just my rules...

c ya
alvin