Which Red Hat?

Simon Cooper sc at sfik.com
Mon Feb 17 23:38:16 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Rick Moen wrote:

...text zapped...

> > SGI Indy's (the purple mini-towers) also tend to be readily available
> > and extra NICs for them are cheap enough.

If you want to pick a colour, then an Indy is/was Cyan.  They are the offset
pizza box systems - they don't come in "vertical", although some were part
of the S, M, L, XL (T-shirt) "Challenge" branding.  Indy's are mostly R4k
(some R5k) based systems.

The Indigo-2 was, ah indigo in colour, and could be mounted in the "desk
side" vertical configuration.  This may be what you are talking about.

The original Indigo systems are from the 1991/2 era, the Indy from 1993.
I'm not entirely sure when the Indigo-2 came out, but it was definitely
later than the Indy.  The Indigo-2 is R10K based.

Anyhow, both the Indy and Indigo-2 will run the latest version of IRIX
6.5.20.  We've (disclaimer: I work for SGI) just released a version of
ipfilter, the PD filtering software from Darren Reed.  The software is free,
you pay for support, see http://www.sgi.com/software/ipfilter.html

My advice to anyone building a firewall - use an operating system you are
familiar with.  Otherwise, how are you going to know if someone has been
messing with it, or how to fix something in a hurry?

Simon.