Which Red Hat?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Feb 17 22:29:25 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:54:34 -0800
> Quoting J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu): [buffer overflows, non-x86
> architectures]

>> Not really.  They're still a problem, its just that the exploits
>> commonly found on cracker sites tend to be written with x86 in mind
>> and don't adapt cleanly to other platforms.

> I wish I could refer you to it specifically, but I recall a fairly
> convincing paper explaining why PPC in particular doesn't really have
> a problem, for reasons inherent to the architecture rather than just a
> matter of popularity.  Sorry, but I don't have it handy.

Ahh yeah, now you mention it I recall something in that direction as
well.  Will dig.

>> Alpha based Multias are another fairly readily available solution.

> They are reported to run hot, though.

They do if you use a drive internal to the case (they really only have
room for a laptop drive internally).  Either mount a small fan on the
case or use an external narrow SCSI drive (they've SCSI on the mother).

>> SGI Indy's (the purple mini-towers) also tend to be readily available
>> and extra NICs for them are cheap enough.

> I've seen those around, and wouldn't mind having one.

They seem to come on the market in spurts.  Indigo2s may be more readily
available now as the Indys fall wayback in age.

> They're reasonable-sized, if not nowhere near as compact as
> NetWinders.

True.  As I recently migrated everything except my desktop to a 2.5m
rack in the garage ($50 off craigslist bundled with a 4U AT case) I've
found I don't care about that much any more -- well, except in the
winter when my office is no where near as warm as it used to be.

--
J C Lawrence