Which Red Hat?

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Sun Feb 16 13:05:49 PST 2003

* David Alban <extasia at extasia.org> [2003-02-16 12:23:53 -0800]:
> I want to do a clean install of Red Hat on a P133 box w/scsi.  I want
> to put two network cards in the box, with one for dsl and one for my
> internal network.  The box will be a firewall.
>
> [...]
>
> Can anyone recommend a particular version (or set of versions)?

I don't know if Red Hat is a requirement for you, but might I recommend
using some other OS instead? Red Hat is somewhat overkill for a firewall
as it comes with a lot of things pre-installed that you probably don't
need. Also, older versions won't be support past one year, according to
Red Hat's new policy.

If you want to use Linux/iptables go with Debian, it is much easier to
set up a bare-bones configuration and run only what you want.

If the sky's the limit, OpenBSD is probably the way to go. Not only is
it ultra-secure out of the box, it's pretty easy to setup a
firewall/router with it as well. Very lean, secure, etc.

thomas

--
N. Thomas
nthomas at cise.ufl.edu