Sendmail replacements?

John Brunn john at ragingkegger.com
Thu Feb 13 11:48:54 PST 2003

I can't say enough good things about exim.  I've been using it for about 2
years now, and I've never had any problems.  Nothing against the other
MTA's, but once I tried exim I never felt the need to use another one.
Config file is extrememly easy to use, rewrites are cake...

www.exim.org has excellent documentation and is constantly being updated.

We've gotten excellent throughput from our mail relays using it, getting
well over 100k messages / day each.  However, exim uses the
philosophy "95% of all mail can be delivered right away".  Therefore, it
is optimized to send mail as soon as it gets it.  If you are expecting to
have a large queue on the server (or mail that won't be able to be
delivered for a while because of remote mail servers, etc) then I believe
postfix or qmail might be a better choice.  However, for mail relays or
an internal mail server, as i've stated before, i can't say enough good
things about it.

As someone else stated, compiling exim is not a 2 minute job.  You have to
look into the make file and compile in the options that you want.  But
once you get it running, the configuration is easy.  My next step is
compiling in spamassassin...

-John Brunn