Sendmail replacements?

Greg Kulosa greg at kulosa.org
Thu Feb 13 10:13:28 PST 2003

> Features:
> It runs as a non-root user.
> It runs as multiple processes.
> It has a human readable config file.
> It runs MUCH faster than sendmail.

Ditto for qmail.

Qmail also does virtual domains.  With virtual domains, each user does _not_
need an entry in the /etc/passwd file to get POP (or IMAP) service.

There is just one user per domain, and all mail for that domain is
stored in that home directory.  Once a virtual domain is set up, you
can add mailboxes, aliases, etc. via a web interface, if you want.
This same web interface allows users to change their POP passwords,
or to forward their E-mail (Like for when they travel).

There is also an add-on module that lets you scan each incoming/outgoing
message for viruses.  This has really kept the latest E-mail viruses
(KLEZ, mostly) from infecting the whole user base.  There is a Linux
binary command-line scanner from McCafee that I use.

Anyway, I like qmail a lot, and am about to install it at another place
for their mailhub.

See http://www.qmail.org/ for documentation and add-ons.

--
Greg A. Kulosa          | "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Systems Administrator   |  late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh
greg at kulosa.org