Sendmail replacements?

Mark Allen mallen at byte-me.org
Thu Feb 13 09:47:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:49:45AM -0500, Rich Holland wrote:
[It's been a few years, and I need a mail relay]
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Religious war #1092: The "better", "more secure" Mail Transport Agent.

Not going there. :)

In no particular order here are the four MTAs that leap to mind immediately.
All of them could do your task.

1) sendmail - the original. My personal preference. Yes, it's byzantine
and maybe overly complicated, but I know it well, and "in general" it
tends to "do the right thing." Since 8.9.3, there's been a huge focus on
security issues. My personal opinion is that the "buggy, security hole
ridden" claims are mostly religious screeds at this point. YMMV.

2) qmail - Requires a bit of mail spool and mailbox configuration. (i.e.,
not a direct sendmail drop in replacement.) Widely used and enjoyed.

3) postfix - Many of my friends use this MTA. They all seem to
like it. Conveniently, a drop in sendmail replacement.  Seems easier
to configure than sendmail, but that's a perception rather than an
empirical observation.

4) exim - Don't know much about it. I've encountered it mostly in
Debian based Linux boxen.

Find more opinion, source and HOW TOs by using your favorite
Internet search method.

Best regards,

Mark
--