1U Server Combo

Alvin Oga alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com
Mon Apr 21 02:56:03 PDT 2003

hi ya dean

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Dean Kao wrote:

> Hey guys
>
> 	I'm looking to setup a personal 1U server and I'm not too
> interested/cant afford the mainstream commercial setups (Compaq,
> Dell).  Anyone have any experience and know of any setups that
> works out pretty good (motherboard/chassis).
>
> I'd like dual power supply setup and a minimal requirement.
> No preference on Intel/AMD.

dual power supply in 1U starts at say $400 and goes upwards of $800
just for the power supply ... and you might wanna close your eyes
to UL issues if any ...

if you want a personal 1U ....
	- you'd be drilling/bending your own 1U chassis
	( it will be the cheapest and you'd get what you want )
	- even halted ( hsc ) has those $40 1U chassis (made of plastic)

if you wanna buy a real 1U chassis off the shelf ...
most of the manufacturers and resellers are listed and is about
$100 - $1000 for a 1U chassis .. just depends on quality and features

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/1U_Others

- ebay is another place to find "good deals" from the .com crash
  the people are selling in 1-z-2-z's

- if you want ul/ce/fcc certified boxes .. double those prices ..
  but you wont get to change the mb/cpu/mem/disks as those changes
  voids the fcc/ul documentation

c ya
alvin
- going to sacramento today to design a mini-itx based 1U ... :-)