your mail

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Tue Sep 24 21:49:42 PDT 2002

At 12:55 AM -0700 9/24/02, Heather Stern wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:25:20AM -0700, Guy wrote:
>>
>> ieee is taking a stand on the H-1B visa issue.  I thought maybe baylisa
>> would be interested in doing something, too.
>>
>> http://www.ieeeusa.org/forum/issues/H1bvisa/
>
> The style of corporate entity which we happen to be, is restricted
> in the sorts of political behavior we can indulge in.

Politically active organizations have value, but so do the politically
passive ones.

> However, our individual members may find it interesting, so I have
> cc'd the group at large on this reply.

Thank you for forwarding this - given the reduced demand for OS engineers I
found the links at the IEEE URL to be interesting.

> IF YOU GET INVOLVED please do not imply that endorsement or suggestions
> of BayLISA as an organization affects your actions without consulting
> our Board.

I'm mildly surprised this needed to be said.  Maybe the general point here
is to be strictly honest when representing the positions of other people
and organizations.  So I might truthfully say, for instance, "some fellow
USENIX members share my opinions about the DoJ's August 5th Microsoft
Consent Decree Compliance Advisory ", but I must never falsely state,
or imply, a specific entity's position on the issue.

Conrad Minshall

Caveats: This email may or may not be a forgery.  It may or may not have
been modified in transit.  It may or may not represent the opinions of the
supposed author.  There is no such thing as PGP.  Rot13 and DMCA will do ya.

--
Conrad Minshall h:408-446-2323 rad at acm.org / w:408-974-2749 conrad at apple.com