Need Sun RJ-45 console cable

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Wed Nov 27 19:39:25 PST 2002

> Replying off-list to avoid starting a religious war there...

*ahem*   :)  That's okay, it happens to everyone sometimes.
> . . . Were that
> the case, then the makers of every switch in common use today are at
> fault for bad design because I can plug an RJ11 phone cord into their
> equipment's RJ45 switch ports.

I think the folks who wrote the standards for web browsers said it best;
things should accept stupid input in non-catastrophic ways.

I do not deny that plugging the wrong PC part into a correctly labelled
Mac... or Sun for that matter... port is stupid, but I don't think it
*can* be denied that people do it.  Whether by chance or clutziness or
even malice (unlikely; physical access leads to much better options)
doesn't matter.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078