Sun CD-ROM problems

Bill Schoolcraft bill at linuxcare.com
Wed Nov 27 07:16:25 PST 2002

Jim Hickstein wrote:

> OK, that was good.  Let's try another one. (Sorry for the traffic, but
> we've always said we wanted this list to be a place to go for answers, and
> today I have two problems.)
>
> I have this Sun Ultra-10, missing a CD-ROM drive.  Guy gave it back to
> saying he could never get an OS loaded. (OK, maybe it's him.)  Stuff in one
> of the PC-type POS 50x EIDE drives, disk spins up and down and up and down
> and up and down and it boots, sort of, but takes forever.  Two or three
> drives did the same thing.
>
> I've got my finger on a Sun part number drive on eBay.  32x this time.
> What are the chances this will fix anything?  Do I have a bad controller?
> A mechanically bad CD?  (Several do the same thing.)  Have I just thrown
> away fifty bucks on eBay?  (Again? :-)

I have an Ultra-10 at home and when the cdrom drive went bad I put in
one of the spares I had at home, I believe it was a 32x and it didn't
work. The 32x cdrom was good though. I removed and put in a older slower
4x cdrom and it worked fine.  I didn't dig any further since the box
runs headless in my house and I use it as a backup server for all my
other "active" Unix boxes.

If you find out anything on this I'd like to know...

--
Bill Schoolcraft, Unix/Linux System Engineer
650 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA 94103