Need Sun RJ-45 console cable

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Tue Nov 26 12:04:53 PST 2002

--On Tuesday, November 26, 2002 10:28:55 -0800 Chuck Yerkes
<chuck+baylisa at snew.com> wrote:

> It's a cisco pinned connector.  Easy enough.

For such as we, yes.  That did the trick, anyway.  Thanks!

Without a working knowledge of RS-232 and a handy supply of Cisco
part-number adapters (if not Sun), my supplicant would have and remained
screwed.  He knows this, now.

> I took a T3 disk array with a zero doc RJ-11(!) console.  Crimped
> wires into a plug and shoved them into pins 2 and 3 of a nearby
> serial port to get it to work.  I had always wondered why Sun DB-25
> serial ports were female.  Now I know.  Try it and frighten your
> co-workers.

They were female because they decided against following the standard, which
is quite clear: DTEs are MALE, DCEs female.  Only DEC, IBM, and HP, to my
knowledge, ever actually adhered to this.  Shame on everyone else.