replacement disk for storagetek/clariion array

Michael Gracy mike at caressofsteel.net
Thu May 30 20:38:04 PDT 2002

I've been doing a little thinking about this.  One problem is Brandon doesn't mention at what level he is observing the drive status, OS or BIOS (System or controller).  He also doesn't mention if this is a raid 0, 1 or 5, combination or jbod.
I'm going to assume raid 5 here.  If this is an older raid controller, you will probably have to go into the bios for the raid controller and designate that the drive is part of the array and tell it to rebuild the stripe if it doesn't automatically do this.
Another issue might be is whether the drive's geometry/storage size falls short of the others and can't hold it's portion of the stripe.  If the drive is larger than the others, then most controllers will only make use of enough space to match the other drives.
But you can't make use of any of the unused space.  In some cases you have to have a drive that matches the geometry of the others, no allowances.  Before you reboot, make sure as to whether or not you are using hardware or software (OS based) raid.  If it is software based, don't reboot until you've verified that the drive is part of the array and the stripe is rebuilt.  If you reboot you may screw yourself depending on the implementation.  If this is harware based raid, you're probably going to have to reboot thus taking the machine offline unless you have agent software loaded that can talk to the raid controller and accomplish the needed tasks.  Hope this helps.