Open source referendum?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue May 7 16:07:13 PDT 2002

>Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:45:56 -0700
>From: Danny Howard <dannyman at toldme.com>

>On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:09:05PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:

>> Maybe.  BayLISA is a particular form of not-for-profit corporation,
>> and if it's the same kind USENIX is, political action is strictly
>> forbidden (as far as BayLISA, as an entity -- vs. members of BayLISA
>> not acting in a way to represent BayLISA -- is concerned).

>So, is it allowed on the mailing list? :)

Well, I had been approving your posts manually, since you were sending
them from an address that wasn't subscribed....

>* Flashbacks of Joe BSD and his Visa crusade.

Right; thanks for being aware of this.  :-}

Well, IANAL, but I think a reasonably clear distinction can be made
between discussing a matter (using BayLISA resources to do so) on
which BayLISA is not permitted to take a position, vs. having an officer
(or even a member) of BayLISA purport to repesent BayLISA's wishes with
respect to such a forbidden topic.

And I'm postmaster@, unless/until someone else volunteers to share that
job -- including being default owner of certain lists, including
baylisa at .

So sure, go for it.  Just be mindful that pending clarification from Dan
(BayLISA's attorney), we shouldn't be having anyone claiming to
represent BayLISA's "opinion" in such matters.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Microsoft products -- for those times when reliability just doesn't matter.