(forw) [linux-elitists] SpamAssassin at SMTP time with exim

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue May 7 14:19:33 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:09:14PM -0500, Rob Windsor wrote:
> But were he to use sendmail, it has the option to reject the mail based on
> it's bogus envelope.  :>

Exim does SMTP  callbacks, which is a lot more  effective than what sendmail
does.
The test didn't have FQDNs because it  was done on my laptop where it worked
since gandalf was the local hostname.

SMTP callbacks totally rule:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6747&group_id=1#callback

> I think all MTAs now have the ability to filter based on headers and
> content, it's merely a matter of <a> spending the time writing the
> configuration, and <b> allowing your mailserver to load up now that it is
> actually digging through the content.

You can do pretty much anything you want with sendmail milters, but the
questions are:
1) does the milter exist?
2) if not, are you willing to write it?

As far as I  know, there is no sendmail milter do  to exim's SMTP callbacks,
or SpamAssassin at SMTP time.

Sendmail, been there, done that, happy with exim now.

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:37:49PM -0700, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> > Another reason to be using exim, if you aren't yet :-)
>
> Or sendmail, qmail or Postfix.
> As  a sendmail  milter, it  should be  contacting a  daemon and  avoid the
> startup costs  of perl for each  message (I fear having  perl startup each
> time  on a  site  that  gets 200k+  messages/day  -  fairly low  corporate
> volume).

If you look at the code, you'll see  that I am using spamc, which is a small
C program that talks to spamd, the perl daemon that runs SpamAssassin
(in other words, no, you do not have to launch perl for each mail)

Again, if you're  a C coder, you  can code this into your  favorite MTA, I'm
just saying it's there for exim, and not the other ones yet :-)
(BTW, I'm not  a C coder, I  just play one on  TV, feel free to  laugh at my
code and send me unified diffs)
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/files/local_scan.c

Marc