nature of the list baylisa at baylisa.org

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Sat Mar 30 15:42:18 PST 2002

JC wrote:
> Describing this as a "high-volume mailing list" would be a stretch at
> the very best of times.  There are occasional (few times a year) bursts
> of traffic at a rate of more than 5 a day, with the rest of the year
> averaging not much over one per month.  Hardly a hotbed of wire sizzling
> bandwidth overflow.

I have learned, in all my years of postmastering, that one man's "Hmm, kinda
low volume", is another's "hello?  is there anybody on here at all?" and yet
another's "hey I thought you said LOW volume".

Likewise the papa/mama/baby bear problem++ applies to people's enjoyment of
various topics.  (++ too hot, too cold, just right)

General lists get bursty sometimes, we all get to live with it.  Just as true
if the normal traffic totalled tens, hundreds, or well over a thousand every
month.  I just don't think there's enough of us aboard this list to push
things to that upper category.

When it comes to handling burst mail, procmail's a nice pal to have around.
So's the D key when you decide a thread is boring.  So folks, if you change
the topic, change the subject, ok?  Thanks.

-* Heather Stern * star at starshine.org * Starshine Technical Services *-