March 21 7:30 pm, BayLISA meeting

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Mar 12 19:20:22 PST 2002

 Hello folks.  Not this week, but the following one, will be the monthly
 meeting of BayLISA, the sysadmins of the Bay Area.

 We'll be hearing from ............. John S. Flowers
					(http://www.johnsflowers.com)

					Founder & Chief Scientist
					nCircle Network Security
					(http://www.ncircle.com/)

 The topic is ...................... Entropy Tango
					-or-
				     Describe Network Security in two words

 The Date: 21 March 2002		The Time: 7:30 pm
 The Place: Incyte Genomics HQ (no, not Babylon 5 :D )
 		Directions at www.baylisa.org/locations/current.html

 This month from the Treasurer ..... Two for One membership
   Make a special point of telling your friends and bringing them along.
   We're having a two for one deal on BayLISA memberships at the meeting
   -- pay for one person, and two people become members for the next year.

   You have to come to the meeting to get this, though.

   Corporate memberships are of course also gleefully accepted, anytime.
   Together, our members and our corporate sponsors help fund bringing
   in great speakers, and occasional special events like hosting hospitality
   parties at USENIX conferences, or the mid-Summer BayLISA Picnic.

 Request For Cookies? .............. tell us what you think
   What do you folks think of the snacks layout we have been providing?
   Please let us know.

 And in case you don't follow the website -- speaker abstract and bio

   This talk is a frank discussion of the emerging technology issues in
   Network Security.  It will include:
	- hype surrounding Intrusion Detection Systems and why they are
	  flawed (similar to the talk at USENIX/LISA)
	- preventive security measures versus reactive measures
	- the anomaly that is the "Security Guru" and why this person
	  must not exist for the health, safety and success of security
	  in the enterprise (academic or commercial)
	- popular misconceptions of network security
	- well spoken tales and humor

   Mr. Flowers provides architecture, design and direction for real-time
   vulnerability assessment, intrusion detection and distributed security
   solutions. Prior to nCircle, he was the chief architect of Inquisit's
   individualized news filtering service. He has also held positions as
   the chief security and internet architect at Utilicorp, and chief
   architect of NeuroSoft. In the early 90's he worked as an engineer for
   Microsoft. Mr. Flowers is a frequent speaker at security conferences
   and is the co-inventor of several patent-pending security technologies
   and was ranked one of the "Top 10 Gurus of Network Security in 2002"
   by TruSecure and Information Security Magazine.

-* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/ *-