List rules?

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Wed Jul 24 13:24:17 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 04:29:51PM -0700, William R Ward wrote:

> I recently joined the mailing list, and went to my first BayLISA
> meeting last week.  I was the guy who put the Weekend Perl Training
> flyers on the table by the door.
>
> What are the rules for this mailing list?  Is it OK to announce my
> classes here?  If not, apologies in advance if this message smells too
> much like an ad.  If so, I will follow up with more details.
>
> --Bill.

The baylisa at baylisa.org is a discussion list for sysadmins and
netadmins.  Traffic varies but seems to usually be light.

It's a place to talk, not a corkboard;  contrariwise, baylisa-jobs
is a corkboard, not a place to talk.  (I know, it's not a job.  It's
hard for me to guess where it goes best, either).

As you've already noted it's a good thing to announce at the meetings.

I think it's fine to mention your classes in your signature block,
and encourage people to contact you offline or via your website if
they want to know more.  But I think e-flyers shouldn't be posted
on baylisa at baylisa.org.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078