Future of .org is to be decided soon

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Jul 15 14:00:02 PDT 2002

ICANN has issued a Request for Proposals
(http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/rfp-20may02.htm) for organizations
to "assume responsibility for operating the registry for the .org
TLD" after the expiration of the existing registry agreement.

In the #sage-members IRC channel (at irc.sage-members.org), someone
(lois) sent out a pointer to
http://not.invisible.net/signals/bin/000055.shtml.

It is a link to a proposal by the Internet Multicasting Service and the
Internet Software Consortium, along with comments about the proposal.

After a quick(!) scan through the salient points of the IMS/ISC
proposal, it appears that a decision is to be made soon.

I am thus cross-posting this to both baylisa and blw because:

* I believe this issue may have a profound effect on the Interent, and
  is thus an issue that stands to affect every BayLISA member.

* BayLISA is a stakeholder in the decision, as baylisa.org stands to be
  directly affected by any decisions made in this matter.

Is this an issue about which BayLISA (as an organization) is permitted
to have and express an opinion?  If so, shall we?

(In the mean time, I encourage BayLISA members to read proposals and
lobby for those that they believe will be best for the community.)

Cheers,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
My reluctance to use or support Microsoft products is a direct
consequence of my desire to use tools that work properly.