What to do when mail to a netblock coordinator bounces....

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sat Jan 12 01:23:09 PST 2002

>So I put together a little note, explaining what I had seen, copying the
>log entries, pointing out that there was no evidence of damage or actual
>intrusion in this case, but that the pattern seemed a tad suspicious.
>
>I got a bounce-o-gram for my trouble.
>
>OK, OK; this isn't all that big a deal, right?  Folks let WHOIS entries
>lapse routinely.  And were the present situation somethig that seemed to
>warrant it, I suppose I could try calling (much as I dislike using
>telephones).  But this was certainly not an emergency.
>
>As I write this, it occurred to me that I probably should have run a
>traceroute, and tried to contact whatever site provides the connectivity
>to the class B (OK, OK -- /16) in question.  It turns out that I did
>something else... but before I mention it, I'll ask my colleagues on the
>list for suggestions.
>
>Thoughts?

ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org zone is your friend. :)

www.rfc-ignorant.org for more info, but we wield a stick which some
people help us swing (by blacklisting mail/etc. from those networks)
and occasionally they catch a ticket on the cluetrain and fix them. :)

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |