a bit of lovely news about spam in California

Bill bill at linuxcare.com
Tue Jan 8 06:39:09 PST 2002

"Derek J. Balling" wrote:

<humbly_snipped>

> Any way that you cut it, if I accept the junk-mail, I have to incur
> the cost of disposal. The only way for the recipient NOT to accept
> the disposal cost is to hand it back to the USPS for disposal. But
> since they won't "dispose" of junk mail for you, you have to tell
> them to send it back where it came from.

</humbly_snipped>

I guess I've been lucky to have a PO Box and sort all the junk at the
Post Office (trash can), but trust me I've been tempted to place
"return to sender" an loop it back into the mailbox.

On a side note, I once registered something on the net, I think it was
WP for Linux and accidentally hit the "l" in Willliam three times and
thought nothing of it after seeing my confirmation. It's now a joke of
sorts for I can see all the companies that now send me junk mail to
"Willliam Schoolcraft"

Since then I've send in for rebate(s) on computer stuff with variances
of my first name and now marvel at the way they sell our identities.

I wish I would have kept an exact tracking of the mispelled first
names I've used to trace the sales of my identity.

--
Bill Schoolcraft	Linux/Unix System Engineer
650 Townsend Street	San Francisco, CA 94103

	   "Linux/Unix, A Way Of Life."