Management Perception of System Administration

David Dull qkstart at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 22 09:29:46 PST 2002

Last night Paul Evans spoke at the Bay LISA meeting on lessons
learned at Webvan during the period of 1999-2000.  Actually, he
presented a few insights and then opened the floor for public
discussion.  In his well-thought-out presentation he drew parallels
between the public political and business climate and that of the
individual companies participating in the dot-com bubble, and then
he got down to the specifics of incidents at Webvan itself.  Although
some of the observations were contradictory, anyone who was reading
business magazines at the time would remember that the times
themselves were contradictory.

What came out for me was the disconnect between what Paul called the
"operational management," or the managers who were responsible for
the day-to-day business, and the "strategic management," or the
president and the board of directors.  It appeared that the
operational management was unable to communicate to the strategic
management the common business sense that they had acquired through
their prior experience.  Is this true, or is it simplification?

I tend to think that the missteps along the way were shared by all,
that the miscommunication occurred on both sides of the arbitrary
fence.  We heard an example of non-redundant production equipment in
a mission-critical application failing, without spares on hand.
Many of the system administrators in the audience saw this as a red
flag, while Paul seemed to think that this was a necessary evil due
to the budgetary constraints of the earlier, less extravagant,
incarnation of Webvan.  Paul also seemed to blame new, more ambitious
management for ignoring this warning and deciding to roll out its
services in numerous markets before the concept was proven in the
first market.  However, a contractor in the audience indicated that
Paul's team had done exactly the same thing by ignoring the
implications of an earlier failure on the same mission-critical
application.

I don't think there's a disconnect between operational management and
strategic management.  I've seen the scramble for safety and the
fear of being blamed in the rank-and-file, as well as in the
boardroom.  I have observed how managers, both of operations and of
research and development, have side-stepped critical issues because
they did not want their names associated with an obvious problem.  I
have seen how corporate politics works at all levels to subvert
corporate profitability.  I once thought this was a phenomenon
reserved for old companies, but the Webvan presentation showed me
that it can happen anywhere, that it is more a phenomenon of society
than of one company or another.

Paul made a very strong point that the only real way for system
administrators to apply their personal experience to board-level
decisions is to climb into the board and participate.  He mentioned
the suit phenomenon, where employees can be promoted into management
because of their appearance.  I'd like to keep in mind that I have
only one chance to make a first impression, and that the suit, or at
least a business-casual appearance, must be maintained continuously.

I would like to point out, however, that it is often corporate
expectations that provide the social pressure for technicians and
engineers to "dress down."  Managers don't want to be confused into
thinking that their line employees are also managers.  That doesn't
fit into their mindset.  Yes, in their minds there is a class
distinction between "management" and "labor," and while engineers,
programmers, and system administrators are not typically unionized,
managers tend to think of them as labor.  System administrators will
not find changing management perception an overnight project.
Engineers have been trying to change this perception for a hundred
years, and as far as I can tell they have made no progress at all.

--David R. Dull
  ddull at ieee.org
  http://home.netcom.com/~qkstart