exim/courier-imap/ldap/horde:imp

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Dec 13 18:04:46 PST 2001

> [resending from my subscribed-to account]
>
> Since everyone is so chatty . .  .
>
> I'm setting up a mail server for a non-profit organization (my daughter's
> school), and have chosen to run the above combo on an openbsd box.
>
> Well, try to run.  It's been a while since I had to do this kind of thing.
>
> Anyone have some quick recipes to get the above packages talking nicely to
> each other?
>
> My rationale is as follows:
>
> LDAP - easy to write simple apps to manage accounts and lists
> Horde:IMP - web-based mail system I've heard good things about

I've too, though selecting a database flavor to go with it seems to be
needed.  I gave one potshot at it once, but our needs were too simple for
it to be worthwhile, and we ended up using a simpler webmail program
instead.  We didn't need the calendaring, etc.

> Courier-IMAP - had to pick an IMAP server to hook up exim and IMP

Excellent choice, *much* faster than cyrus and wu.  And wu is a "big target"
- whether or not their stuff is bad, people seem to love to break it, which
is annoying.

> Exim - I need to be able to restrict mail such that the kids can only
> send mail to and receive mail from pre-approved addresses.  Exim appears to
> support this better than sendmail, qmail, postfix, etc...

Largely a metter of what kind of control files make you comfy;  postfix can
certainly do that sort of thing too;  sendmail milters can do all sorts of
restrictions if you like;  I'd be shocked if DJB didn't think of that sort
of thing in qmail - but then, I am not a big qmail fan, so I can't speak
further to that one.

Exim is the default MTA offered in Debian and you might see if their package
for it offers any additional docs worth reading, and look at their default
config files, though obviously linux binaries won't do you much good.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078