Cable Tags/Cable labels

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Thu Dec 13 00:53:05 PST 2001

> How and what do you use to tag and/or label cables?

The only thing I ever saw that came close to being satifactory was due to
none other than the legendary Arnold deLeon.  He found (or maybe created) a
supplier of Cat-5 cables with _serial numbers_ on them, the same at both
ends.  The numbers also encoded the length, IIRC.

You could say "do you have 15-5651?" and someone else could say "Yes" and
unplug it, and you had a pretty good idea you were doing the right thing.

I didn't work at Synopsys, but I spotted this during a visit there, and
said to myself, "Damn! I gotta do that!".

The physical labels I don't recall clearly.  Might have been heat-shrink,
or maybe akin to the 3M product consisting of a length of clear tape with a
little white tab on the end: you write on the tab then wrap the clear tail
over it.  I used those, but they're a bear to take back off.  Hence the
permanent serial numbers.