Opportunity for Usability Evaluation

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Tue Dec 11 21:49:36 PST 2001

> At my last job, at some point, the users started complaining that the
> systems weren't fast enough.  My boss, a fairly astute man, said "take it
> as a compliment -- people only complain about the speed of the system when
> they start taking it for granted that it's not crashing."  He was right --
> when I had joined the company and our main systems were crashing every few
> weeks, nobody complained about speed.

Ah, this made me recall a job I had in my (relative) Yout'
where, after 2-4 weeks, I was trying to heal a really neglected
network (the owner was a programmer and presumed that he was
also a system admin).  The main servers were crashing
every couple days.  I struggled against things like a Sun4/280
serving 30 xterminals and disk for 10 Sun SLCs.  I felt terrible.

Then, over lunch, one of the programmers noted how nice it was
to have me: the machines weren't crashing 4 times a day.

Progress continued incrementally, and machines actually survived
to get rebooted periodically on purpose!

I did have a Jr. SA who compressed /vmunix and /boot on a bunch
of diskless images to save space ... :)

Quoting Roy S. Rapoport (rsr at inorganic.org):