Opportunity for Usability Evaluation

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Dec 11 14:58:32 PST 2001

> Because those without degrees are just all cranky, curmugeons
> who are angry with the world.  Give me someone with a BS in
> System Administration any day :)
>
> (I trust those of you that don't know any of those people might
>  see that humor/irony)

Well, any place with a half-clue (needing to hire a whole one on full time,
of course) ought to be able to be blown over by "or equivalent".  Whack them
over the head with enough credentials to teach community college as a
Local Expert.

Then if they still don't want you, you can feel satisfied that they're dopes
and will have to come crawling to some sysadmin with a Summa Cum Laude from
HKU.  (hard knocks university)

> I'm willing to go easy and read into it that perhaps poor Ms Greenwood
> was sending something to try to indicate a desire to have experienced
> people, not that kid down the street who got Linux for his machine
> last year and is now a "Sr System Admin"
>
> God!  And you wonder why people don't want to field test software.

Well there are these SAGE and LPI certifications in the works;  we'll see
how well they catch on.

> Quoting J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu):
> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 04:58:12 -0800
> > Kenny Paul <kenny at cisco.com> wrote:
> > > On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 03:29:08PM -0800, Nicole Harrington wrote:
> > > Oh come now....  Everyone knows that a non-degreed sysadmin such
> > > as myself is totally clueless and utterly incapable of thinking,
> > > making decisions or recommending appropriate hardware or software.
> >
> > > That is why I became a manager.
> >
> > So you too can write job req's that demand book larning' for
> > positions that require practical, pragmatic trench experience.

Needed:  someone with at least four (4) firing neurons, at least one (1) of
         which must have survived your tour through college.

         The college is needed so that you have at least one (1) neuron in
         common with the department head.

Purpose: help establish good relations with end users by means of maintaining
         actual working (systems on their desks | internet connectivity).

Ideal:   Said systems to not crash regularly, therefore UNIX(tm) experience
         preferred.  Freenix varieties acceptable if you have administered
         sites with end users who are not your relatives.

Am I having enough fun yet?  <-- published curmudgeon-ette.

* Heather *
Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something
strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson